Tired of that tattoo? Dermatologist in San Mateo, CA offers laser tattoo removal
Do you have a tattoo that no longer brings you joy? You are not the only one. Approximately one in every five adults in the United States has a tattoo, and up to 20% of those individuals live with tattoo regret. The good news is, you don’t have to face regret every day in the mirror. At Allura Skin & Laser Center, we offer individuals in the San Mateo, CA area, a solution to tattoo regret. Laser tattoo removal with the MedLite® C6 Series Q-switched Nd:YAG laser is a safe and effective way to eliminate unwanted tattoos.
There are many reasons for regret, laser tattoo removal can help
Some of the most common reasons individuals want to eliminate their tattoo are:
- The tattoo was done poorly, it is not of high quality
- It no longer represents something you love or that is meaningful to you
- It’s in a place where you wish there was no tattoo
The Tattoo Process
To understand how laser tattoo removal works, it’s first important to understand what happens to the skin during the tattooing process.
Our skin has several layers. The epidermis is the top layer of skin and contains melanin, which is what gives your skin it’s unique color. Beneath the epidermis is the dermis, this is the layer where hair growth starts and where you derive your sense of touch. Below the dermis is the subcutaneous layer of fat where the skin is attached to muscles and bone.
An electrically powered tattoo machine controls the movement of a solid needle to penetrate ink to the dermis layer of the skin. This needle can move anywhere between 50 and 3,000 times per minute during the tattoo process where the ink becomes trapped in the skin. The reason for tattooing into the dermis layer is that our epidermis sheds skin cells every single hour, while the dermis does not.
Allura Skin & Laser CenterCall the San Mateo, CA dermatologists you can trust for a healthy complexion
(650) 727-6008 Book an Appointment
The tattooing process creates injury to the skin, which means that the body’s immune system attempts to repair the wound and inflammation. This eliminates some of the ink particles, but not all of them, which is why the skin still displays the pigment.
How laser tattoo removal works
Because the different ink pigments absorb wavelengths of light differently than clear, unmarked skin, we can use this laser energy to break up the tattoo’s pigment. During a laser tattoo treatment, the ink particles are shattered by the energy of the laser and are eliminated through the body’s natural disposal process.
The MedLite® C6 Series Q-switched Nd:YAG laser provides us with multiple wavelengths to choose from so that we can customize the treatment based on the tattoo and the individual’s skin type.
What to expect from laser tattoo removal
- Multiple treatments are needed. The exact amount of sessions needed varies depending on the size and colors of the tattoo. Most individuals will need a minimum of six sessions, while some larger tattoos may require many more.
- Treatments are short. One laser tattoo removal session typically lasts less than an hour.
- Minimal pain. Laser tattoo removal is often described as less painful than the initial tattoo. Some people say it produces a sensation similar to a rubber band snap.
- Be gentle to the skin afterward. Don’t scrub the treated area for several days. It’s normal for the skin to have a sunburned feel and appearance.
It’s important to note that certain colors respond better to tattoo removal than others. In general, black and red inks are the most responsive, while blues and lighter colors can be more difficult. Because we use such an advanced laser, we’re often able to offer effective solutions for even the most difficult colors. During your consultation, we’ll examine your tattoo and discuss what you should expect to achieve with laser tattoo removal.
Don’t live another day with regret. You may have been told that tattoos are forever, but they don’t have to be. If you are in the San Mateo, CA area and would like to learn more about tattoo removal, please call Allura Skin & Laser Center today at (650) 727-6008 to request an appointment.
Back to Laser Tattoo Removal Page