Intensed Pulse Light (IPL)
IPL photofacial: No-downtime treatment for skin rejuvenation in San Mateo, CA
Many people would like to improve their complexions yet are reluctant to commit to a solution that requires an extensive recovery period. IPL photofacial treatment can be an excellent alternative. Dr. Bruce Maltz and Dr. Carie Chui bring this leading-edge innovation to patients in the San Mateo, CA area.
While IPL is often classified as a laser therapy, there are significant difference. A laser device directs an intense beam of light in a specific “color,” ideal for addressing a defined target, such as a tattoo. Fractionated lasers break the beam of light into a multitude of pinpoints for skin resurfacing and collagen stimulation.
Intense pulsed light or IPL treatment uses high-intensity pulses of broad spectrum light, with filters to selectively censor out some wavelengths. Fine-tuned treatment allows pulses to be absorbed by certain pigments in the target.
IPL is recommended for skin rejuvenation on face, neck, chest, backs of hands, and other areas of the body. Usually two to four treatments several weeks apart, are in order for optimal correction of:
- Age spots
- Brown and pink discoloration
- Enlarged pores
- Spider veins
- Sun damage
Once these imperfections are cleared with IPL treatment, they do not return. However, continued sun exposure may result in new spots, veins, and damage, which will require additional treatment. Though it is a chronic condition, rosacea can be improved with IPL.
Benefits of IPL photofacial treatment in San Mateo, CA
- Treatment is well-tolerated. Most patients say they feel only slight stinging during a session. Surface skin is kept cool and comfortable with a chilling device. Local anesthetic and pain medication is generally not needed.
- An IPL session typically takes less than an hour (depending on the area of treatment).
- Little or no downtime. There may be slight swelling or redness for a few days, easily concealed with makeup.
- Results in a healthier, younger-looking complexion overall. Pigmentation spots darken and flake off within three weeks or less. As diffuse redness and blood vessels fade, skin tone evens out and texture refines.